9921 104 St NW, Edmonton
A frame house was built on this site in 1887, and Alex Taylor lived in it from 1888 until his death in 1916. From 1884 to 1891 the central switchboard for the Edmonton District Telephone Co. was located on this property.
Mr. Taylor founded the first electric light company, is given credit for the first telegraph line in Edmonton and was co-founder of the first newspaper, The Bullettin.
In his long and varied career he served as a Clerk for the Supreme Court, postmaster and member of the school board from 1898 – 1909 (as chairman from 1899 – 1909).
-Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award