11035 127 Street Northwest, Edmonton
The Parish of St. Peter’s, in the Westmount area of Edmonton, was begun as a mission of Christ Church by the Reverend C.W. McKim. The first church was erected on the southeast corner of 113 Avenue and 127 Street and dedicated on January 18, 1914. The second church was built, not many years later, at 131 Street and 111 Avenue. On February 23, 1921 this second church was moved to the present site at 127 Street and 111 Avenue. The third St.Peter’s was built in 1959 and dedicated on December 8, 1960.
The first minister at St. Peter’s was the Rev. Capt. W.H. Davis who was killed in battle in France on August 9, 1918, as he prayed for dying soldiers. The first choir was formed in 1919. Three years later they formed a Pierrot troop, performing in various parishes in Edmonton and vicinity. In later years there was a very active junior choir under the successive leadership of Elsie Edgecombe, Ruby Dunn, and Hope Metszies. More recently the young people were involved in producing sanctuary plays under the banner of “St. Peter’s Players.”
The 26 (St. Peter’s) Edmonton Scouts were first sponsored by the church in 1942. Over the years, St. Peter’s has been involved in supporting and initiating various community projects. One of the first “Twins” support groups in Edmonton was begun by members of St. Peter’s. More recently the members of the Outreach group, with the help of others, have been actively involved in supporting the 124th St. Drop-In Project.
St. Peter’s is also a founding member of the Westmount Christian Council.
[Abstracted from “St. Peter’s Anglican Church” Pictorial Directory 1998.]