10524 100 Avenue, Edmonton
The Arlington Apartments, a rectangular five-storey brick pre-First World War apartment block, was located close to Edmonton’s downtown core on 100 Avenue.
The Arlington Apartments is significant as it characterizes Edmonton’s rapid growth in population and consequent demand for accommodation during the pre-WWI economic boom. Built in response to the need for downtown accommodation, a function it continues to serve today, the Arlington Apartments addressed the aspirations of an emerging professional andmanagerial class by providing centrally located and attractive modern accommodation.
Important for its construction technique as well as its design, the Arlington Apartments were rapidly constructed in 1909 with load bearing masonry walls and marked the initial introduction to Edmonton of the apartment block as a distinct building type. Its simple well-proportioned design and modest classical detailing is reminiscent of the Edwardian era.
After a fire in 2005, the building was demolished in 2008.