10004–10010 105 Street, Edmonton
Designed by: Dewar Stevenson Stanley Architects
Built by: 1953 Mill and Olson, 1959 Poole Construction
Developer: 1959 Polo Developments (later known as Oxford Investment Group)
The Baker Clinic was designed and constructed in two stages. The first stage, designed in 1953, was a one-storey Prairie Style brick structure designed to be a health care centre and clinic. The entrance portico incorporates heavy, vertical, brick fins for contrast.
The 1959 three-storey addition is an early example of curtain-wall construction using two colours of metal spandrel panels that tend to diminish the apparent mass of the tower. Its massing seems inspired by the Bauhaus. An elaborate sunscreen system has been added to the south elevation to contribute to the design. Although separated by seven years, the 1953 building with its solidity serves as a suitable podium for the 1959 addition which is very light in appearance.
“Celebrating the modern movement”
Lawrence Herzog, It’s Our Heritage, Vol 26 No 41, October 16, 2008
“In defense of modern buildings“
Lawrence Herzog, Inside Edmonton, Vol 26 No 41, October 16, 2008
Era: The Post-War Years
Themes: Trade & Industry