10603 103 Street , Edmonton
Charles J. Carter constructed this home in 1907. Similar to single-family dwellings built by other Edmonton entrepreneurs at the time, his house features a wooden frame, lapped wood siding, and a front veranda with turned porch columns. Take a peek around back. Carter’s property also includes a gable-roofed horse stable, complete with hayloft.
Many Edmonton homes built before the First World War had similar outbuildings, but this is perhaps the only one of its kind left in the city. The City relocated the Carter residence and stable from their original location at 54 Heiminck Street (10002-107 Avenue) to this spot in 1995 as a tribute to a time when horses, pigs, and chickens were more common in Edmonton yards than Fords, Toyotas, and Jeeps.
Carter worked as a contractor, blacksmith, and packer for the furniture company Blowey-Henry, and although his name graces this home, he only lived here for a short time. Others enjoyed the home for many long years. Residents included the baker, Charles W. Campbell; a retired couple, James and Mary Gauld; the men of the Men’s Co-operative Residence here in the 1950s; and the longest-staying occupant, Martha Pehl, an employee of McGavin’s bakery before her retirement.
- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Municipal Historic Resource (November 25, 1997)