Donald Ross School

10125 97 Avenue, Edmonton

The style of Donald Ross School adhered to a popular formula for early-20th century schools, which combined design elements of Collegiate Gothic and Jacobethan Revival architecture. Distinctive elements included steep-sided triangular gables, tall chimneys, brick and stone facing materials, quoins, ornaments and large rectangular windows. It was built for $33,895 by the Dunlop, Johnson Construction Company in 1913, who also constructed the Hull Block on 97 Street, among other structures.

The main floor had two classrooms, an assembly area and an office for the principal. The second floor had three more classrooms, a staff room and infirmary.

SEE MORE:

"The School Named for Donald Ross" by Lawrence Herzog
It's Our Heritage | Vol. 20 No. 22  | May 30, 2002

Add a comment

Era: Urban Growth
Themes: Education
Cultural Groups:
Area: Central

  • 15
    • 53.533811 -113.494693