9904 105 Street, Edmonton
Dr. William MacKay lived on this site from 1898 until his death in 1916. This solid brick house with good lines stood here many year.
Dr. MacKay, a Scot, joined the Hudson’s Bay Company as company surgeon. For some 30 years he was the only doctor north of Edmonton, working for 8 years out of Peace River, then 10 years out of Fort Chipewyan. Visiting patients was not easy. At one time it took a whole year to reach one Indian reserve. On another occasion he skated 200 miles from Grouard to answer an epidemic call in Edmonton.
MacKay Avenue and MacKay Avenue School commemorate this highly respected citizen. Dr. William and his wife Anne (nee Flett) had 8 children and she accompanied him wherever possible.
-Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award