9797 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton
The Edmonton Bulletin was the newspaper of record between 1880 and 1903, when the Edmonton Evening Journal began publication. As such, it has become one of the most valuable sources of information regarding the early history of the city.
The building in which the Bulletin was published is one of Edmonton’s oldest surviving structures. It was built in 1878 on Jasper Avenue east of the present location of the Macdonald Hotel. After several moves around the city, it can now be seen at Fort Edmonton Park. This small building was a simple log structure 16 feet square with a gable roof.
The Bulletin was established by Frank Oliver, a major influence on the development of Edmonton. He bought the first town lot in Edmonton, and when the Dominion Telegraph reached the area in 1879, allowing “telegraphic” news service, he and Alex Taylor began to publish what he called the world’s smallest newspaper the following year. The paper provided him with a forum to launch his political career, and its relatively balanced boosterism soon made Edmonton more familiar to the rest of Canada.
In addition to bringing the first printing press to Edmonton, Frank Oliver was a member of the Northwest Territories Council from 1883 to 1896. He was also a Liberal Member of Parliament in the Laurier government after 1896, being re-elected until 1917. From 1905 to 1911 Oliver was Minister of the Interior and Superintendent General of Indian Affairs.
-- Edmonton Historical Board
See photos of the Edmonton Bulletin Building at Fort Edmonton Park.
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award