11820 107 Avenue, Edmonton
Designed by: Bell and McCullough Architects
Original Owner: Edmonton Cemetery Co. Ltd.
Fortuitously located at a curve in a major thoroughfare, the Edmonton Cemetery Office is a highly visible and familiar sight for thousands of daily commuters. The ‘wavy’ roof was a noticeable characteristic of the structure, giving the gatehouse a Modern feature for the time, and a decidedly less somber appearance than normally associated with funerary architecture.
Architects Bell and McCullough took out the building permit for an office building and gatehouse at the Edmonton Cemetery on April 10, 1959, with Siemens Engineering Ltd. as the consulting engineers, and C.D. Construction as the general contractors.
The Edmonton Cemetery Office is an excellent example of the Early Modern style with leanings toward Modern Expressionism, seen in the folded plate roofline and the use of exposed and expressive concrete structure. The office also incorporates extended eaves over the individual bays, pale orange brick infill between the concrete structure, large expanses of glass in the front elevation bays and gold-coloured anodized aluminum window frames.