10025 105 Street, Edmonton
The history of the First Presbyterian Church can by traced to the origins of Edmonton as a settlement. Reverend Andrew Baird established the first Presbyterian congregation in Alberta in 1881. The congregation outgrew its two earlier church buildings before this impressive building was designed. First Presbyterian Church was opened in 1912 by Reverend David G. McQueen. It is the oldest church of this denomination in Edmonton and is certainly the largest. Designed by the Edmonton firm of Arthur G. Wilson and David E. Herrald the church is a monument to the dedication and devotion of its congregation.
Built in the Gothic Revival style, and constructed with Redcliff pressed brick and Bedford stone trim, the church cost over $165,000. Large gothic windows allow light to stream into the oak paneled interior. The interior includes a U-shaped gallery and a semi-dome housing the organ. The organ was made by Casavant Freres of St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, in 1909 and was added to when installed in the new church in 1912. On October 14, 1918, Colonel Robert Belcher, a member of the church, deposited the regimental colours of the 138 Battalion, and they have remained there ever since.
The church was designated as a Provincial Historic Resource in 1978 and is on the “A” list of the city’s Register of Historic Resources in Edmonton.
-- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Provincial Historic Resource (1978/09/12)