9231 100 Avenue NW, Edmonton
On this site in 1881, under the original name of “Hardisty & Fraser” Edmonton’s first commercial flour and lumber mill began operation. In 1889 D.R. Fraser & Co. Ltd. was established and continued to cut and process local timber. At its peak in 1914 the mill, run by steam, produced 50,000 feet of lumber in one 10 hour shift. Many Edmonton homes built with lumber from this mill are still standing.
-- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award