10004 Japer Avenue, Edmonton
In 1893 Joseph H. Gariepy built his first frame building here at the northwest corner of Jasper Avenue and McDougall Avenue (100 Street). Later a three-storey brick building was added just to the west of it. The telephone exchange was located on the third floor of this latter building. The C.N.R. also had the property under lease for a number of years. The Gariepy and Lessard Store is remembered as one of the outfitters that supplied Klondikers for the 1897-98 Gold Rush. The block was replaced by this existing building in 1961.
-- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Era: Urban Settlement
Themes: Trade & Industry