10406 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton
The Hotel Cecil opened its doors on October 1, 1906. Originally the business was jointly operated by François Lannic and Charles H. Bélanger. Mr. Bélanger soon bought out Mr. Lannic’s interest and ran the hotel for many years.
Expanded in 1910, the hotel included 65 guest rooms, a parlour, writing rooms, a 300 seat dining room and a ladies rotunda. The dining room regularly featured a live orchestra and, on special occasions, served up delicacies like Russian caviar, broiled B.C. salmon Hollandaise, and saddle of venison with port wine sauce.
Designed by Edmonton architect Roland Lines, the Hotel Cecil featured an entrance flanked by double Ionic columns. It was finished in brick, with stone accents. During a 1914 renovation the main entrance was moved to the southeast corner of the building.
- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award