10514-10520 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton
Built in 1909, the Jasper Block is one of the last remaining turn of the century (20) buildings left on downtown Jasper Avenue. It is a visual link to the City’s early and rapid development, marking the westward commercial expansion on Jasper Avenue. Its architectural form with traditional high glazed store frontages is typical of many early Edmonton Edwardian-era combined commercial and residential developments. Upper storeys were used for apartments while the ground floor housed commercial businesses such as retail ladies’ wear, millinery, and insurance.
Notable feature include: red pressed brick façade, stone trim and accents, tall glazed main floor wood storefronts, recessed entrances with large display windows, recessed front door entrance to upper floors framed with wood paneling and timber piers, continuous metal cornice above storefront with paired brackets, stone ‘parged’ lintels, upper parapet with decorative dentilation, and stone nameplate “Jasper Block” in parapet.
Also significant is the Jasper Block’s association with John Kelly, one of Edmonton’s early successful business men who came from mixed professional backgrounds. Starting as a blacksmith in Edmonton in 1902, he moved into real estate, developing and building commercial buildings, of which a few still remain as significant historical resources in the city.
- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Municipal Historic Resource (3/9/2004)