8307 109 Street, Edmonton
Knox Metropolitan United was originally a Methodist congregation in the then village of South Edmonton, meeting in private homes and served by the minister of McDougall Methodist. The congregation began in 1892 at a time when the trip across the river was a precarious one and the minister often ended up staying over in the home of one of the parishioners until the weather improved. The small wooden building that was the first formal home of Metropolitan was soon outgrown and the cornerstone of a new brick building was laid in 1907. Early in 1908 the basement was ready to use for services and by the end of that year the full church was dedicated. On New Year’s Day in 1942 the building was totally destroyed by fire but the congregation began fund raising immediately and the present church was dedicated in March of 1943.