7100 Ada Boulevard, Edmonton T5B 4E4
The Lutheran Historical Institute is an archive whose aim is to be a living repository of the record of Lutheranism in Canada, evidencing the religious faith of its people, past, present and future, and sharing it with researchers, educators and the community at large.
The Lutheran historical Institute is an agency of the Lutheran Church Canada, Alberta-British Columbia District in partnership with Concordia University College of Alberta, Concordia Lutheran Seminary and Lutheran Church-Canada. The purpose of the Institute is to collect and preserve materials and items of historical significance created by its partners and their associates.
The Lutheran Historical Institute consists of 200 metres of historical records dating from the 1890s in the form of paper documents, photographs, audiotapes, and cassettes, sound recordings, films and published material. It includes about 1,000 artifacts for research and exhibition that help interpret Lutheran Heritage in Canada. The Lutheran Historical Institute maintains a library comprised of printed material relating to the history of Lutheranism in Canada including periodicals, newsletters and biographical booklets. The library collection also contains theological and reference books, bibles, hymn books and liturgical books. Much of the material prior to 1938 is in German and the library material dates predominately from the late 1500s until the 1940s. The Lutheran Historical Institute is located on the second floor of the Alberta-British Columbia District office and consists of the stacks, a work room and a reference room to accommodate researchers.