10305 100 Ave NW, Edmonton
In 1899 on this site, then at Edmonton’s outskirts, John A. McDougall built his three-storey brick Victorian mansion.
Starting as a labourer in Winnipeg in 1873, the Ontario youth of 19 years began fur trading. He visited Edmonton in 1877 and two years later opened a store, the J.A. McDougall and Co.
Mayor of Edmonton in 1897 and 1908, he held many public offices. He was a member of the first senate of the University and in 1909 was elected to the legislative assembly.
He was a man of proven ability, a leader in the community and church circles.
-Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Era: Urban Settlement