11530 95A Street , Edmonton
The McTaggart residence is a gabled roof, rectangular bungalow, with an enclosed front veranda. A wood frame structure clad with wood siding and decorative wood shingles, it is located on a rectangular city lot in Edmonton’s mature Norwood neighbourhood.
Significant as a well-preserved modest craftsman bungalow, the McTaggart residence is also representative of a middle-income single-family dwelling of the post-First World War era.
The McTaggart residence uses a variety of decorative motifs reminiscent of the craftsman style such as, square posts with capitals supporting the verandah, exposed rafters with scrolled ends, large eave brackets and decorative wood shingles in the gable ends.
The house, built circa 1922, is significant for its association with individuals and families who made contributions to the community through their military and civic participation. Built by a real-estate developer, it was first occupied by John Lawson Haight, a veteran of the First World War and teacher. John Wesley McTaggart, a well-known accountant, and his wife, Myril, both active citizens of Edmonton, bought the house in 1925. Mrs. McTaggart lived in the house until 1977.
The shape, form and massing of the building including the materials and craftsman style elements such as:
Municipal Historic Resource (November 30, 2004)
Era: The War Years