8820 - 112 Street, University of Alberta, Edmonton
For over 60 years, St. Stephen’s (originally Alberta College), the first denominational college completed in 1910 on Methodist church property on the campus, subsidized scores of deserving students who repaid its generosity by playing rewarding roles in Canada’s development.
-Edmonton Historical Board
The historical importance of this building derives from the fact that it is the first structure built on the grounds of Alberta's first university that was established in 1908. The University of Alberta was one of the first such institutions in the four western provinces. As a part of the University of Alberta, St. Stephen's College has played an important role in the social and academic life of that institution.
The Tudor style architecture of this building with such features as battlemented parapets and octagonal towers similar in design to St. James Palace in London has made it an imposing landmark on the campus of the University of Alberta.
- Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 132)
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Provincial Historic Resource, Province of Alberta 1983/06/02