9540 101 Street , Edmonton
Officially opened on April 1, 1912, this building was originally a Children’s Shelter. Until April 30, 1925, thousands of orphaned or abandoned children found a caring home here. In 1925 a new Children’s Shelter was constructed and this building was leased to the Salvation Army, who converted it into Grace Hospital, a maternity home. During the war years it became known as the Little America Transit Hotel because it housed Americans who were working on the Alaska Highway. When these workers left in 1944, it was converted into the Ross Flats Apartments. Few buildings in Edmonton have been home to such a variety of people. The property is owned by the City of Edmonton Real Estate and Housing Department.
- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Municipal Historic Resource (March 20, 2001)