11135 - 84 Avenue , Edmonton
This home, constructed by Tom Leake, was built in 1913 and then valued at $4,500. It is one of the original, unaltered structures still remaining in the neighbourhood. Sarah McLellan emigrated from Scotland in 1906 and purchased the lot from Laurent Garneau in 1907. He was the Metis farmer who owned most of the land on which the University of Alberta and the Garneau community are now located.
This residence is a larger version of the foursquare architectural style home with Arts and Crafts characteristics. Its design is one of a simple hipped property. It features a hipped dormer window on each elevation in the roof, with the north and south dormers containing two sash windows while the east dormer contains a smaller casement window. The windows on the remaining elevations are sash windows, with notable casings and corniced crowning. The walls are sided at ground level in cedar lap siding and the upper level in plain cedar shakes. The two are separated by a timber board belt course, over which the shingles slightly project. The front upper elevation has a decorative pattern in the shingles enhanced by the use of diamond-shaped shingles. A frieze board under the eaves joins the walls and roof.
The east elevation also has a two-storey projecting window bay, with the bay extending through the foundation. The front of the house has a veranda with slender, slightly tapered piers supporting the upper level porch. The piers and posts are filled with simple crafted wood railings, posts, caps and bracketing. All decorative features including mouldings and spindle fluting remain. An indication that decorative wood bracketing existed between the piers has been noted. These have been replaced with replicated brackets true to the patterns manufactured by the Winnipeg Window and Door Company in 1912 – 1914 and commonly used at that time. The base of the veranda is covered with wooden square lattice common to the period. The rear porch is similar to the front but does not extend the width of the building. A brick chimney projects from the top of the roof.
Despite its varied use over the years, the interior of the house has remained intact and is complete with original millwork, including five panel doors, wainscoting, the stairwell construction, mouldings and trim. Almost all of the original fir and maple flooring remains as do the fireplace and grill work.
From 1916 to 1922, the house was used as a nurses’ residence for the nurses working with First World War casualties at the military hospital that was located where the University of Alberta Hospital stands today.
Apart from the loss of some detailing to the veranda, the original exterior and interior character of this building is intact. The Sarah McLellan Residence provides a strong visual reminder of the original residential character of the area now facing huge development pressure.
- Edmonton Historical Board
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Provincial Historic Resource (June 30, 2000)
Municipal Historic Resource (August 28, 2001)