11511 75 Avenue, Edmonton
The William Fraser Residence, built circa 1908 is a two-storey foursquare home with a pyramidal roof and clapboard siding. It is located on a residential street and occupies a single city lot mid-block in the Edmonton neighbourhood of Belgravia. The municipal designation applies to the front and side elevations, as well as the original interior wood finishes. The rear addition, completed in 2010, is not included in the designation.
The William Fraser Residence is significant as a rare example of a pre-First World War home in Belgravia and its foursquare design.
Built sometime between 1908 and 1912, possibly by farmer and first owner William Fraser, this residence is a distinctive exception to the average home built in the subdivision of Belgravia. Archival photographs show that as late as 1949 the William Fraser Residence was one of the few buildings in the area. The William Fraser Residence, with its two-storey height, foursquare design, wooden siding and interior finishes is an identifiable and rare pre-First World War home in a neighbourhood characterized largely by post-Second World War bungalows.
The William Fraser Residence is significant for its foursquare design. The foursquare design was common in Edmonton during the first two decades of the 20th century, and is identifiable by typical characteristics such as a square footprint, two-storey height, hipped roof with overhanging boxed eaves and clapboard siding with decorative corner boards and trim, all of which can are seen in the William Fraser Residence.
Source: City of Edmonton Planning and Development Department File 84227951.
The heritage value of the William Fraser Residence is expressed in such character-defining elements as:
Municipal Historic Resource (May 27, 2009)
Era: Urban Growth