6240 Ada Boulevard, Edmonton
Magrath's residence is an eclectic construction evincing the strong influences of the Georgian Revival and Neoclassical architectural styles. Prominent features of the Magrath Mansion include the symmetrical front facade, two-storey colonnade supported by robust classical columns, hipped roof with gable dormers and wrap-around porch and balcony.
Real estate dealer W.J. Magrath built this mansion in 1912 to reflect his success in Edmonton's pre-First World War building boom. It is one of the finest architectural achievements in Alberta, with fine materials and craftsmanship used in the interior and exterior of the home. Oak paneling, a grand winding staircase, linen wall coverings, sculptured ceilings and built-in leaded-glass cabinets on the main floor are among the many interesting architectural features.
W.J. Magrath resided here until his death in 1920. Magrath, a successful businessman actively involved in real estate, was involved in the development of the Highland subdivision in Edmonton. The house remained in the Magrath family until the early thirties. Few homes built during Edmonton's development excel the Magrath Mansion in architectural design, craftsmanship and materials.
Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 323)
Provincial Historic Resource (1975/09/17)
For more information on booking Magrath Mansion as an event venue, please call 780-619-2223.